Friday 19 December 2008

EMAIL TO REB 17 DEC

Hi Rebecca,I,m managing just fine for money really on a day to day basis I am probably spending more than I do at home as I am doing more i,m eating out every day once maybe twice a day and taking taxis sometimes five times a day usually my breakfast is two fried eggs on toast and a cup of tea 60 rupees 90p with a 10 rupee tip and my dinner may be prawn biriani or chichen fried rice 80 rupees plus 10 rupee tip about £1.30p I have treated myself to a couple of excellant fish dinners that would stand up to a good restaurant in Paris or Barcelona for 280 rupees about £4 like a 2inch thick filet of white kingfish covered in cheese/mornay sauce on a bed of spinach and a baked potato and broccoli smothered in melted butter yum,yum delish am I making you hungry.I,m still handing out 10 rupee tips like confetti about 15p.The little boy who works behind the bar at Molly Molones in Calangute said he wuold like to go to London to live and work but it could be difficult for him as he only earns 3,000 rupees a month, thats like £1.50 a day for a ten hour shift thats 10 rupees an hour,poor little sod, so every time I give a 10 rupee tip its like giving an hours wage.I had an Indian haircut it cost 140 rupees about £2 the canny barber pulled out a laminated price list out of his drawer a local boy told me haircuts cost 20 rupees = two hours wages so they jack the price x 10 for westerners,I don,t begrudge it a bit I,m more than happy to pay their inflated prices. Will write more soon. Love John xxxxx

No comments: