Thursday 27 November 2008

2nd day Thursday 13th November We head out of the airport towards my prebooked hotel the taxi driver tells me it,s a 90 minute drive he starts moaning why couldn,t I find a hotel closer to the airport .The taxi feels like its rattling apart and I swear I can hear bits falling from it. I,m sweltering I,m wearing a heavy long sleeve shirt and trousers and I,m hanging out the window,he lets me smoke a cigarette in the taxi,I would have clocked him if he said no.stop for cofee I tell him I,m parched so we stop in a hole in the wall workmans caff in a shanty town.I sit on the kerb drinking milky coffee watching the mileau of hooting,honking,tooting traffic go by in no particular direction.its hard to tell if they drive on the left or the right side of the road here,it seems there are no rules.I go in the caff an see men eating from square tin trays like TV dinner plates one portion curry sauce little heap of chopped onions and nan bread,no knives forks or spoons as they eat with their right hand the left hand is for wiping their arse..the meals cost 10 rupees about 15p I pay for the coffee 10 rupees they probably overcharged me but I don,t care.We finally make it to the hotel through mile after mile of slums piles of rubbish multitudes of people thousands of beat up honking black and yellow taxis going every which way..

No comments: